In the School of Computing at the University of Leeds we want to find out more about how worms move by wiggling. Can you help us by making your own origami worm?
You will need:
- 14cm x 3cm paper or card
- things to decorate your worm
Step by step
Take the card or paper and fold in half length ways
Take each side and fold inwards
… and in half inwards again
Unfold and it should now look like this
Fold back up and carefully cut the two short edges to make a nice curve
Decorate your worm and give it a face so it knows which way to go
Blow air with a straw
- What happens if you make your worm out of card instead of paper? Why?
- What happens if you make your worm bigger, wider or longer? Why?
- What is the best surface to put your worm on to blow along? Why?
- What happens if you don’t cut the edge into a nice curve?